skip navigation

Postgame Recap: One Goal Leads to Another

By WBH, 12/26/20, 10:45PM CST


Both the Waterloo Black Hawks and Sioux City Musketeers recorded pairs of goals separated by less than 20 seconds Saturday, with the Hawks scratching out a 4-3 road win at Tyson Events Center.

The only score in the opening 20 minutes came on an unassisted breakaway by Matt Argentina at 15:09.  The second-year forward swiped a pass near his own blue line, speeding up the middle of the ice and pulling the puck to his backhand to lift it past Akira Schmid.

Sioux City took their only lead of the night during the first minute of the second period, with goals just 18 seconds apart, thanks to a power play and a takeaway.  Joel Maatta hit the net seconds into an advantage at the 37-second mark, pouncing when Christian Jimenez’s shot didn’t get through.  Brian Carrabes followed up on the next shift, stealing a breakout pass near the Waterloo line, then cashing in.

Kyler Kleven provided Waterloo’s initial response at 8:36, capitalizing on a nimble passing sequence.  Max Sasson brought the puck into the zone and fed a cross-ice pass to Casey Severo.  Kleven received Severo’s delivery and lifted in his shot from the doorstep.

Just 11 seconds later, the Hawks went back to the lead.  Ryan O’Hara turned in the slot to send a low attempt toward the crease.  The puck bounced to Teddy Lagerback in nearly an identical spot to where Kleven had just scored.

Gabe Blanchard then tied the game at 3:58 of the third, going to the net to finish a rebound opportunity created in transition.  Four of Blanchard’s seven career USHL goals have come against Waterloo.

Maatta had two chances to give Sioux City the lead while the Musketeers were shorthanded minutes later.  He was hooked during a breakaway, leading to a penalty shot at 5:23.  Charlie Glockner stopped him with a left pad save.  Glockner came up big again during Maatta’s next shift when the forward managed to generate another breakaway.

Back at even-strength, Waterloo went ahead for good 8:09.  Sasson’s unassisted goal was the result of a takeaway before he beat Schmid to the glove side.

Sioux City ended the night on the power play for the final 1:52, but the Hawks turned away their late chances.  Glockner finished the game with 32 saves.

Waterloo returns to action Monday night versus the Lincoln Stars for a 7:05 p.m. home game at Young Arena.

Waterloo 1 2 1 - 4
Sioux City 0 2 1 - 3

1st Period-1, Waterloo, Argentina 1   15:09. Penalties-Sasson Wat (holding), 12:12.

2nd Period-2, Sioux City, Maatta 1 (Jimenez), 0:37 (PP). 3, Sioux City, Carrabes 4   0:55. 4, Waterloo, Kleven 2 (Severo, Sasson), 8:36. 5, Waterloo, Lagerback 2 (O’Hara), 8:47. Penalties-Kleven Wat (tripping), 0:19; Blanchard Sc (holding), 15:08.

3rd Period-6, Sioux City, Blanchard 3 (Loney), 3:58. 7, Waterloo, Sasson 2   8:09. Penalties-Hryckowian Sc (tripping), 5:11; Waldron Wat (slashing), 5:23; Bradley Sc (roughing), 8:09; O’Hara Wat (cross checking), 18:08.

Shots on Goal-Waterloo 7-9-9-25. Sioux City 9-14-12-35.
Power Play Opportunities-Waterloo 0 / 3; Sioux City 1 / 3.
Goalies-Waterloo, Glockner 2-3-0-0 (35 shots-32 saves). Sioux City, Schmid 1-3-0-0 (25 shots-21 saves).
Referees-Ian McCambridge (94), Rocco Stachowiak.
Linesmen-Kendall Hanley.