skip navigation

Postgame Recap: Hawks Celebrate NYE Perfect Ten

By WBH, 12/31/20, 9:15PM CST


Lead for More than 59 Minutes Thursday

For the tenth consecutive New Year’s Eve, the Waterloo Black Hawks successfully defended home ice, collecting a 3-1 Thursday win at Young Arena against the Des Moines Buccaneers.

Waterloo’s last loss on the notable date had been in 2010, at the hands of the Bucs.  However, a decade later, the Hawks took the lead early with an early goal by Michael LaStara, putting them ahead for good as it turned out.

Just 47 seconds into the game, Mason Reiners and John Waldron sealed the left wing boards to keep a puck in at the Des Moines blue line.  The disc made it to Wyatt Schingoethe, who cut hard to the net through the circle.  At the last moment, Schingoethe dropped a pass to LaStarza, and he sniped the top corner from just inside and below the left dot.

The teams were four-on-four when the Hawks expanded their lead at 10:51.  Schingoethe was coming up the slot and slung a pass to Ryan O’Hara in the right circle.  O’Hara’s shot was tipped in from near the top of the crease as Hawks defenseman Ethan Szmagaj went to the goal mouth.

The score remained static until 7:09 of the third when Tanner Latsch broke up Charlie Glockner’s shutout bid.  After the Bucs had kept the puck near the Hawks blue line, Latsch found room to skate on right wing and squeezed a chance in on the short side.

Neither team could score on alternating power plays which followed.  Before Des Moines could lift goalie Remington Koepple for an extra attacker, David Gucciardi beat him to put the Hawks back up by two.  Koepple had stopped Reiners’ attempt from the right point, but the long rebound came to Gucciardi on the opposite boards.  Gucciardi quickly returned a shot toward the target, which found its way home at 17:50.

Glockner made 23 saves to improve his record to 4-4-0.  Koepple stopped 28 chances in the loss.

Waterloo has played at home every New Year’s Eve since 1998, going 19-4-0 in that time, and a mark of 18-1-0 under Head Coach P.K. O’Handley.

The Hawks are now off until next Thursday when the visit the Fargo Force.

Des Moines 0 0 1 - 1
Waterloo 2 0 1 - 3

1st Period-1, Waterloo, LaStarza 4 (Schingoethe, Waldron), 0:47. 2, Waterloo, Szmagaj 2 (O’Hara, Schingoethe), 10:51. Penalties-Lagerback Wat (tripping), 9:15; Faremouth Dm (goalie interference), 9:25.

2nd Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Luedtke Dm (interference), 3:11.

3rd Period-3, Des Moines, Latsch 7 (Shoudy, Choupani), 7:09. 4, Waterloo, Gucciardi 1 (Reiners, Sasson), 17:50. Penalties-Renlund Dm (roughing), 4:32; Szmagaj Wat (roughing), 4:32; Argentina Wat (slashing), 8:25; Faremouth Dm (tripping), 12:16.

Shots on Goal-Des Moines 8-7-10-25. Waterloo 11-9-10-30.
Power Play Opportunities-Des Moines 0 / 2; Waterloo 0 / 3.
Goalies-Des Moines, Keopple 2-4-0-0 (30 shots-27 saves). Waterloo, Glockner 4-4-0-0 (25 shots-24 saves).
Referees-Rocco Stachowiak, Tyler Hascall.
Linesmen-Cameron McCambridge, Aaron McCrary.