Look for a new edition of the Waterloo Black Hawks Summer Update every few weeks.
• Draft Reflection – Four Waterloo Black Hawks were selected during the 2017 NHL Draft. Shane Bowers (1st Round, Ottawa Senators), Dylan Samberg (2nd Round, Winnipeg Jets), Mikey Anderson (4th Round, L.A. Kings), and Nick Swaney (7th Round, Minnesota Wild). During P.K. O’Handley’s 15 seasons with the Black Hawks, 46 players who have appeared for the team have been drafted.
Bowers on playing in the USHL: “For me, I thought it was the best thing for my development. I don’t regret making the decision; it’s been awesome, and being here right now makes it all worth it.”
Anderson on learning from O’Handley and Shane Fukushima: “Over my two years there, I think I’ve really taken on what they’ve said and tried to learn as much as I can. You know, they’ve done a lot for me, so I can’t thank them enough for everything.”
• Development Camps – Fifteen NHL teams are currently conducting development camps for their drafted prospects, as well as other college or junior free agents, with 13 former Black Hawks participating: David Cotton (Carolina Hurricanes), Peter Thome and Lawton Courtnall (Columbus Blue Jackets), Anderson (Kings), Tom Novak and Rem Pitlick (Nashville Predators ), Eamon McAdam (New York Islanders), Alec McCrea (New York Rangers), Bowers (Senators), Blake Winiecki and Michael Davies (St. Louis Blues), Ryan Lohin (Tampa Bay Lightning), and Samberg (Jets).
• Another Camp Note – USA Hockey has invited Anderson and Samberg to the 2017 World Junior Summer Showcase later this month, indicating that both are candidates to represent the country during the 2018 World Junior Championships.
• Momentum Going into the Weekend – Former Waterloo Black Hawk Michael Annett goes to Daytona this weekend coming off his best finish of the season. The defenseman-turned-racecar-driver claimed sixth at the NASCAR Xfinity Series race at Iowa Motor Speedway last Saturday. He currently ranks 10th in series standings. His career-best Xfinity Series finish (third) came at Daytona in 2012.
• Final Days of 30 Days – With June about to end, these are the last of the 30 Days of Hockey. Check out the Black Hawks YouTube channel for the final announcements and previous episodes to see if you are a winner. Claim your prizes at the Black Hawks front office.
• 30 Days of Winners – Three Black Hawks Nights remain at Fox Ridge Golf Course. On July, 11th and 25th, plus August 8th, Hawks fans can play nine holes with a cart while enjoying a sandwich and a beverage for just $25.