skip navigation

Postgame Recap: Storm Win, Two-by-Two

By WBH, 02/17/19, 6:30PM CST


Furry Completes Hat Trick Late

Two goals in each period allowed the Tri-City Storm to outdistance the Waterloo Black Hawks 6-3 at Young Arena Sunday.

The Storm jumped to the lead with a pair of goals just over five minutes apart in the opening frame.  Shane Pinto recovered a puck just a moment after a Waterloo takeaway and put it toward the front of the net; Brendan Furry was there to bang it in at 4:55.  The lead grew at 9:06 when Brendan Budy sent a pass from dot to dot, leaving Connor McMenamin with an open side from the right circle.

However, Waterloo got one back before intermission at 13:19.  One second remained on the first Tri-City power play of the night when Connor Caponi swept in a shorthanded goal.  Patrick Guzzo made the play happen, taking the puck away in his own zone near the blue line, then speeding up right wing before hitting Caponi with a feed between the circles.

Waterloo tied the game early in the second.  At 2:42, Brehdan Engum’s shot from the right point handcuffed Isaiah Saville who was trying to make a backhanded glove save.  The shot flew over his left shoulder. 

The Storm went back ahead 33 seconds later when Furry knocked in his second of the game on a fortuitous deflection; Ronnie Attard’s shot was batted down and trickled to Furry with an open side.  Attard added another goal during a power play at 8:53.  Following a brilliant save by Logan Stein on Furry, Pinto immediately set up Attard on the opposite side of the net, and the defenseman flipped the puck under the crossbar.

Most of the third period was played with a one-game margin.  Waterloo killed off nearly a minute-and-a-half of five-on-three Storm power play time coming out of intermission.  Then Guzzo drew Waterloo to 4-3 thanks to Xander Lamppa and Ryan Drkulec.  Lamppa swiped a clearing attempt on the right boards and pushed the puck behind the net.  There, Drkulec set up Guzzo, who flipped in his try with a quick release.

However the Storm put the game away with goals on either side of the 18 minute mark.  A turnover to Filip Forsmark led to a goal by Budy at 17:58.  Seventeen seconds later, Tri-City was awarded a penalty shot when a Black Hawk defender covered the puck in the crease, and Furry finished his hat trick with a successful conversion.

Sunday’s matchup was the first of eight straight for Waterloo versus opponents from the USHL Western Conference.  The sequence continues Friday on the road against the Lincoln Stars.

Tri-City 2 2 2 - 6
Waterloo 1 1 1 - 3

1st Period-1, Tri-City, Furry 13 (Pinto, Jones), 4:55. 2, Tri-City, McMenamin 20 (Budy, Attard), 9:06. 3, Waterloo, Caponi 8 (Guzzo), 13:19 (SH). Penalties-Schingoethe Wat (high sticking), 11:20; Drkulec Wat (cross checking), 15:35; Molenaar Tc (bench minor-too many men), 16:44; Attard Tc (roughing), 19:53; Sorensen Wat (unsportsmanlike cnd.), 19:53.

2nd Period-4, Waterloo, Engum 3 (Marooney, Cassetti), 2:42. 5, Tri-City, Furry 14 (Attard, Murphy), 3:15. 6, Tri-City, Attard 20 (Pinto, Furry), 8:53 (PP). Penalties-Ness Wat (roughing), 4:13; Attard Tc (interference), 4:28; Lamppa Wat (high sticking), 7:55; Forsmark Tc (high sticking), 9:27; Attard Tc (head contact), 15:18; Pinto Tc (high sticking), 18:21; Schingoethe Wat (slashing), 19:51; Sorensen Wat (slashing), 20:00.

3rd Period-7, Waterloo, Guzzo 3 (Drkulec, Lamppa), 4:10. 8, Tri-City, Budy 6 (Forsmark), 17:58. 9, Tri-City, Furry 15   18:15 (PS). Penalties-No Penalties

Shots on Goal-Tri-City 9-8-6-23. Waterloo 11-17-15-43.
Power Play Opportunities-Tri-City 1 / 6; Waterloo 0 / 5.
Goalies-Tri-City, Saville 18-3-1-1 (43 shots-40 saves). Waterloo, Stein 15-5-1-0 (23 shots-17 saves).
Referees-Brian Hankes, John Linder (78).
Linesmen-Tony Aronson (67), Sam Rankin.